Welcome To The PGS Website
It is our intention to provide a place where a variety of genealogy-related information and tools can be shared with family researchers.
Our society organized in 1971 and draws its name from the Pioneer Woman Statue erected in Ponca City in 1930. This statue celebrates the noble spirit of determination displayed by the women who settled this region. We seek to honor the determination of all of the pioneers and their descendants, along with the Native American cultures that were early inhabitants, who continue to be a major element today. Our focus is on Kay County but we also include limited information related to the surrounding counties of Osage, Pawnee, Noble and Grant;and also Sumner and Cowley counties in Kansas.
Our monthly meetings are open to the public and held at the Ponca City Library. We also answer queries (see restrictions), publish a quarterly newsletter, compile local genealogical records, and provide a mentoring program for genealogy assistance in cooperation with the library.
Our object is to make this website easy to navigate. The following are some brief comments that may help in learning about the website content.
- Current PGS events can be accessed using the "Calendar of Events" link icon.
- Links to local libraries and museums are included in the "Area Repositories" section (including a link to the state office for obtaining birth and death certificates).
- Access instructions to the electronic data bases (Heritage Quest) from a personal computer are located on the Ponca City Library page.
- The "On-Line Records" section contains a variety of information collected from different sources - see the sub-menu for different categories of interest.
- Kay Co. marriage applications for the period of 1893-1999 are located in the "Online Records/Marriage Records" section.
- Interments in all Kay Co. cemeteries before 2003 (and some to 2010) are located in the 'Online Records/Death-Obit Records section. A link to the Master Index of these individuals is located on the Kay County Cemetery page.
- Maps of county townships with individual section numbers designated are included in the "Property Records and Maps" section.
- The 1941-1942 Kay Co. Atlas with a listing of propety owners is located in the "Property Records and Maps" section.
- Links to popular websites that are used frequently to assist in various elements of research are located in the "Related Websites" section.
- Information about up-coming events (not sponsored by PGS) that may be of interest to the visitor are located at the bottom of the page.
We would invite the users of this website to help us make improvements and any needed corrections by sending a message to our webmaster. Thank you for your assistance!